Monday, January 28, 2008

rishikesh

This past weekend we went to rishikesh, a small town straddling the ganges river between crazy mountains 200km or so north of delhi. It was beautiful. There wasn't much to do beyond walk around a do yoga, so thats what we did. We took a yoga class with one of the few legit yoga teachers, and it was honestly pretty intense physically. my limbs went to unnatural places, and they even had me doing a head stand. I also took a sitar lesson with two other volunteers which was good. My teacher was this white guy from tennesee, but he has been india for four years studying sitar and indian percussion. I'm considering buying a sitar. You can get one for about $200, whereas in the states would cost $1000. we'll see, its an amazing instrument.

Work has been good, same old stuff. Every day the girls and I head in, work, play for a few hours, and then peace. I've begun to get a good grasp on the names of the older kids, who
I enjoy working with a lot because we communicate easier and it's more relaxed. The little kids' names, I'm still working out. Many of them have nicknames of my choosing. There's about 25 of them, I'll get it eventually.

No comments: